Thursday, August 26, 2010

Castle creep


Was 1999 really the last time Film Forum showed the gimmicky shockers of William Castle? I'm not sure how I made it through the aughts without a tinge of Percepto or a blast of Emergo. In any case he's back, starting tomorrow, in a retrospective that takes in other facets of his career besides. While I don't subscribe to the producer-as-auteurist claims made for him by others there's no denying that the films are a lot of fun, and seeing them with their gimmicks intact makes them all the more entertaining. Take my advice at the end of my review of a box set of Castle flicks that came out last year. And, boy, does Joan Crawford mean business with that axe in Strait-Jacket, a cutting-edge start to the retrospective paired with the delightful Homicidal.

No comments: